Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Something New, Something Old, and Someone From Another Time

New experiences await, that's for sure. But in the days leading up to my departure to the West Coast, two people from the history of my life have resurfaced. And just in time for my trip!

The first, and more recent, of the two stems back to October 6, 2001. That night, Seann William Scott hosted Saturday Night Live and Chris Kattan was thinking of me. I had forgotten all about this until a few days ago when the event popped into my mind. After a few minutes of Google searching (God bless the Internet), I found this picture:

Yes, there he is, Chris Kattan holding up a sign that, believe it or not, was directed at yours truly. A few weeks earlier I had written him a letter saying that for my 16th birthday I would love nothing more than a shout out from him on SNL and I gave an example in the letter using the phrase "Hey There Kiddo". And look at him, fulfilling the wishes of a 16-year-old. Bless him.

So anyway, my little moment with Chris Kattan has been recorded in the belly of the Internet by some insanely obsessive individuals who have screenshots and transcripts for an obscene amount of SNL episodes. You can see their handiwork here:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/01/01bgoodnights.phtml

So now that we're done with that silliness, here's the more important connection from my past. While I'm in San Diego, it looks like I'll get to visit with a friend who I haven't seen since the 6th grade, Bob Carroll! He moved away and I never saw him again. But there he is out in San Diego. 6th grade... I was 11! That was over 12 years ago. As much as I often hate the Internet for disconnecting people from the world around them, here it goes surprising me. Proving me wrong. Showing me that it can actually bring me back in touch with long lost friends.

Here are some other people from the past that facebook has helped me to rediscover:

Courtney Karamanol
Joe Daveau
Dan Myers
Minerva Lord
Warren Helms

So thanks Internet. Maybe you're not so bad after all. Except for Neopets... I'll never be able to forgive you for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment