Thursday, February 28, 2013

Writing by Train

When I was first hired at my most recent job, everyone in my life wanted to know about my commute. They were so sad to hear that I would have to spend at least 2 hours each work day on the train. But I luckily, do not share this hesitation towards public transportation.

It's been a month now and I have enjoyed every day that I have ridden on the train. It gives me time to think. Time to read. And now, time to write.

Now that I've started blogging again, I've rediscovered my voice and like any habit, I've fallen back into writing. I'm reading through drafts while the lawyer beside me is checking in with clients. I'm outlining chapters while the NP to my right is applying makeup. And after three years of retail work, my brain is bursting with characters who want to be brought to life. Every year gives me more experience and a richer story to tell.

This morning I found myself saying hello to Brendan, one of my very first characters. His story was halted prematurely several years ago when I lost a draft I was working on. But this morning I decided to give him some of my attention, and his story has only gotten better in the meantime. I'm looking forward to exploring that world again and seeing where it takes me.

Thank you MBTA for giving me what I've been looking for lately: time to write.

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog! You probably already know that John Grisham wrote his first blockbusters on a Chicago subway...so you are part of a great and moving tradition....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avery! So great to hear from you! Thank you for reading my blog - always nice to know there is someone out there surfing through my posts. :-)

      Delete