Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Where My Mind Goes

I have a deadline.

In a few hours I have to hand in an assignment that is already 3 days late.  I don't even know why my teacher gave me an extension.  Maybe she's just kind?

So I've been sitting here all day, half-heatedly working on my assignment.  But what I've really been thinking about is Brendan.



Let me just be honest.  I'm in love with Brendan.  He's from overseas, has as many insecurities and awkward moments as the next person and wakes up with the most unruly hair I've ever seen.  He smells like sage and lemons whenever we sit down together.  I'm not sure if its a scent he applies, if its a memory he triggers in me or if its just something that comes naturally.  He's not perfect, but that's what makes him so damn interesting.  And he's always there, waiting for me when I want to talk or figure something out in my life.  I never have to explain anything, he just comes over, brews me some tea and waits for me to get it all out.  Sometimes months pass between conversations, but I'm always thinking about him.

The only real tragedy about Brendan...




is that he doesn't exist.

Not outside of my head at least.  He's the main character in almost every story I write.  Sometimes he has a different name, but it's always the same man.  He's kind and patient.  Always backs me up, even when my ideas are stale or cliched. 

So here's to you Brendan/David/Alex/Jason!  You're my favorite kind of procrastination.  I love you dearly and I hope we can keep up this tender, unexplainable love affair for years to come.

PS Brendan - I hope you don't mind that you currently look like David Tennant in my head.  Not the worst person to be likened to though, right?  You're such a good sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment