Saturday, July 18, 2009

California - Day 3

Waking up to an unfamiliar sound in an unfamiliar house is not the most exciting of beginnings to any morning. My usual, melodic alarm that I had set for 6:30 was not what I was hearing, and I was jolted awake. I grabbed my phone and saw that I had received a text from American Airlines with a 2-hour reminder about my flight. I had somehow confused my departure times and had to leave to get to the airport quickly. But after this rushed start, the day fell into a more reasonable pace.

Flying along the coast of California is an incredible experience. The landscape passing by below is so unique and truly breathtaking. Taking the airbus from San Jose to LA was the method of transportation I was dreading the most before the trip began, but once I decided to really live the experience and look out the window for the entire length of the flight, I found myself completely changed. It was this short flight that inspired me to let go of the fear of flight and embrace the opportunity it gives us to see the world in an entirely unique way. Here is a view from up above:


After this incredible plane ride, I arrived in Los Angeles. Its was about 10am and I had until 7pm to see the city. Not knowing a THING about Los Angeles... I found some public transportation and followed the most touristy looking people I could find. (Before I forget, I'd like to plug California's excellent transportation system. I didn't have one bad experience while travel inside of CA. Every plane, train and bus was fast, cheap and clean.) About an hour and a half later (LA is HUGE!!!) I was in Hollywood. I walked up out of the Metro and found myself on the sidewalk with stars under my feet. I was obviously in the right place. After about 5 minutes walking around to see where I was, I realized how uncomfortable I was. I reminded myself about having packed light for this very reason. It was so so hot out and my back was already killing me. I had also not yet eaten anything. So I walked a bit further until I found a cluster of simple restaurants.

After a nice quick meal and a rest for my back, I went back out onto the street to get myself oriented. Within a few blocks I was able to see lots of stars (in the sidewalk... not the people, haha), the handprints in front of Gromin's Chinese Theater and the Hollywood sign (from a far distance). I also saw these two posing for pictures... which made me shake my head for so many reasons...


So it had only been about an hour, but I suddenly realized that I had 5 more hours in the city and I had already seen basically everything iconic that I knew of LA. It was at this point that I decided to really tourist it up and use the next few hours wisely. Knowing nothing at all about where to go and how to get there, I meandered over to the giant, red double decker tour buses. I usually stay away from these bad boys, but this seemed like a real good time to swallow my pride and hop on board.

Probably the best $30 I spent on the entire trip. I put down my bag, took out my camera and listened to the pre-recorded narration as I saw a good portion of the city. I passed incredibly expensive shops, the tar pits and a few studios. Here's a link to all of my pictures from LA:

L.A. Pictures

At this point, I transferred to another bus route and made my way west to Union Station to catch my train to Santa Barbara. With the extra time I had, I walked up and down a few side streets and enjoyed the courtyard at Union Station. When it was time to get on the train, I found a nice spot in the Business Class car. I had purchased the upgraded ticket to ensure that I would have a spot on the train leaving that evening (because I really didn't want to get stuck in LA for the night). Another great decision on my part. Here were some of the benefits that the extra $13 gave me:


Yep, that's right, that's a little bottle of wine back there. I had lots of leg room and a great window seat as I was now riding along the ground alongside all of the beautiful mountains I had seen from above a half a day earlier. What a fantastic way to finish a fantastic day! I say "fantastic," but let me be perfectly clear: I'm absolutely content with my visit to L.A., but I see no reason to ever return. Most of California... I could live in, but L.A. - I'm all set, thanks very much.

In my next post, you'll hear all about my time in Santa Barbara for day 4! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment