Saturday, March 7, 2009

And.... I'm back!

A lot of time has passed since my last real blog entry. I was feeling so bad about it around the 1st of the year that I decided to make it a New Year's resolution to blog more. But surprise, surprise, its already March. I could cheat and just retroactively blog, which Blogger will kindly allow me to do. But I want to be a bit honet. Plus, this is a great moment to blog from and if I cheat on the time/date stamp, there will be so many things that I won't be able to talk about or mention. Unless I want to claim time agent status or rip a hole in the continuum, etc., etc...

Last I wrote, I was just beginning NaNoWriMo and my mind was brimming with ideas. I was going for a Science Fiction theme this year, and the creativity was flowing out of me like I had turned on a faucet that I didn't know was there. Unfortunately, my graduate class picked up a few days later and completely consumed my life until the end of December. It was exhausting, but I proved to myself that the work load was manageable and that I'm actually pretty good at library science.

Once class was over, the holiday insanity was in full swing and days often went by without any computer access at all. It was stressful, but again I made it out the other side. I also managed to make some time to overcome a pretty substantial hurdle. I decided to record a song for Joe for Christmas, letting him hear my real voice for basically the first time. It was exciting and terrifying, but got me an important step closer to singing in front of people again. Only a few people have heard it, but the responses were good and it was the confidence I needed to commit myself to the next step.

So as the new year began, I started reading a new book ("Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut, which Joe gave me for Christmas) and began actually playing the guitar. I say "actually" because I finally have a guitar to play. My brother kindly passed on his pre-loved guitar, and hopefully some talent is left in the strings. It's been about 2 months of playing and I can sit down and pluck my way through most songs I come across, but I'm a log way from the fluidity I'm going for. Writing my own material has also been a challenge. I get the lyrics out, but then the music just doesn't match the emotions in the words. I'm 0-2 so far against the songwriting gods.

Another big development is that the title of this blog is no longer entirely true. I was promoted several weeks ago and now share a nice big office with another woman at work. No more cramped 7x7 square of pretend boundaries for me. Although, I'm now sitting directly under an air conditioning vent (which is surprisingly still pumping out cold air in the middle of winter). Can't have it all, right?

Still enjoying and being inspired by the blogs of Mr. Jason Mraz, even though he took a little hiatus like yours truely. I think, deep down, we may be vibing off the same frequencies. Come on Mraz, send some of your songwriting genius my way!

Speaking of Mraz, I'm just finishing up my third (and probably final) Dr. Who video. Well, at least until next season... It features the song "Dynamo of Volition" from We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. and has clips from all 4 seasons. I still have trouble putting two doctors in the same video together. I just don't like jumping from one face to another. But hey, he does, so maybe it's something I'd better just get over. Something to think about.

Well, as always, thanks for reading! Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment