Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Insanity

This post is going to be a mash-up of different random things from Tuesday November 4, 2008. I'd organize my thoughts, but today is just too crazy to try to sort out. So, first I'd like to direct you to http://imageshugger.com/viewer.php?file=wjzyn8a43gu3zx013fa0.jpg. I'm still trying to understand how someone could even have such thoughts. I mean, talk about finding slanderous justifaction for hate. It really makes me sick that people's minds even go there. But the anger generated by the image was softened a bit when I saw that the post was made on the Fox News website. If we can tell a lot about a person by who their friends are (a big argument fox news has used over and over again against Obama), well then Fox News scares me that much more today.

I also wanted to give some shameless publicity to my buddy Kurt who just finished making a video parody in response to the election. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH_BqZ6SjP0 The skit presents an "untelevised debate" between Obama and McCain. Go check him out and leave him some love. And look for more from Kurt in the coming months. If you like what you see, do yourself a favor and subscribe to his channel. You'll be glad you did! *shameless wink*

So many of the people I've spoken with today just want all of this to be over. I can't explain how frustrating that sort of response is to me. I mean, part of me gets it, but I just wish people would care a little more. I heard a great comment on the radio this morning. The guest said that people are so tired of talking about politics because of the O'Reilly's of the world. If you aren't familiar with Bill O'Reilly, well, you're lucky, but for the purpose of context, all you really need to know is that he likes to yell -- a lot. He's apart of the shock culture of media that has taken over America. And as a result, lots of people get very heated when discussing politics. They can't see into the other perspectives, they just want to yell and scream their point until the other person gives up. So obviously no one wants to talk about it. But my boyfriend and I, who don't always see eye to eye politically have managed to keep things civilized. We have to try really hard and keep our ears and minds open - it isn't easy, but politics is an important topic for us and we're important to each other, so we make it work. I just want a little effort people. It doesn't matter how far removed from it all you think you are or want to be, it affects you. It just does. You can't avoid it. So please, get your facts straight, talk to other people (especially those who don't agree with you) and actively participate in the government in every way you can. And if the reality of politics gets a little too heavy for you, take a break and watch some West Wing. That's how I combat the crappiness of real-life political rhetoric.

No comments:

Post a Comment