Monday, October 27, 2008

Guess who's keeping me company in my cube?


If you want to secure a spot on my life soundtrack, there are two criteria you must meet first (not that many musicians consider this a great honor, but work with me here.) First, your songs must be original pieces written by you, or maybe a collaboration with other musicians who also write and play their own material. Second, you must play an instrument. Plenty of people can sing, and amazingly, with the software available now, you don't even really need that. I require the real deal; someone who wrote the words, the music, can play it and sing it, without alteration in a studio and in front of a live audience. If you don't meet these standards, please go home; you are not a real musician to me. You are an entertainer, and although somone may appreciate you, it'll take more than that to impress me.

It takes a special kind of person to stay centered and focused when fame brings thousands of screaming men and women to your feet. This quality of composure and sincerity is one of the main thing that I look for in musicians. I understand the need for belief in your abilities, but watching an artist display a humble sense of gratitude inflates my appreciation for their work and dedication.

For me, musicians get back to the traditions of performance. They draw together a large group of individuals who share little in common. A great musician can create a single-serving community that participates in the immediacy of a shared experience. It's a special moment that only exists once and everyone can feel it and live freely in it.

Put all of these requirements together and there are few artists who fit the bill. A quick list might include Rufus Wainwright, Ben Folds, Regina Spektor and The Barenaked Ladies. But this summer, I found the definitive singer/songwriter. And it turns out I was already familiar with his work. Many of his songs had been woven through my highschool and college soundtracks, but his name was somehow brand new to my ears in June of 2008.

Jason Mraz, or Mr. A-Z, as he is often called, is one of the most accessible musicians I have ever come across. He's a faithful blogger, makes live performance audio available to fans for free and strives to make each performance unique. I also appreciate how many genres of music he ventures into during the course of one CD, particularly his most recent one. For me, most of his songs only have one thing in common: his pleasant, soothing voice.

Speaking of voice, sure he can sing, but beyond just the sound of it, Mraz really has something to say. He blogs pretty regularly and always has beautiful messages of goodness and gratitude that inspire others to live life like you mean it and with all the passion you can muster. Jason Mraz is a man with a message, and he knows it. He doesn't sit around waiting for an audience, he just puts it out there through writings, pictures and song. Those who are looking for some positive vibes are sure to bump into the aura that Mraz spreads out everywhere he goes.

So, whether or not you realize it MR. A-Z, you've been a faithful companion in my lonely little cube each day for a number of months. And since discovering the treasure trove of open source live concert audio downloads on Archive.org, it seems like I'll never run out of new experiences to jump into. So thank you. Thank you for renewing my own sense of gratitude and for sharing your insights and love with anyone who wants it, and even some who don't.

Hope to see much more of you from the slight discomfort of my ergonomic swivel chair. And I hope that anyone who hasn't yet ventured into the slightly goofy, oh-so-charming world of Jason Mraz plans a visit real soon.

PS - If you're looking for some eloquent blogs related to Jason Mraz, you can check out his blog through his MySpace or go visit Lisa at curbsideprophecies.wordpress.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment